Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bet you can't eat just one...

Dear readers -- Yes, I am a slacker.  This space has been woefully neglected for quite a while.  I promise a CX season wrap-up post soon, as well as a year-in-review.  But right now I can't sleep because I just rode my bike at tempo on the trainer for a little over an hour to make up for not going for a run this morning.  Only one thing left to do...


Despite being obsessed with their weight, there is one thing that most endurance athletes I know really love to do: eat.  And have I got a good one for you today... I've mentioned this recipe to a couple of friends, who subsequently expressed great interest (perhaps because I described it as "f***ing awesome"), and my temporary bout of insomnia makes for a great opportunity to transcribe it into web-browsable form for their, and your, enjoyment.  Also, I happen to know that I'm going to be enjoying this for dinner some night this week.  Oh man, I can hardly wait.

Do not read further if you don't like beef.  If you don't currently own a slow cooker, let's hope this inspires you to go out and buy one.

Adapted from Cuisine At Home: Slow Cooker Menus.

Laquered Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 4-6 hours (high heat), 7-9 hours (low heat)

For the short ribs:
3 lbs. beef short ribs, trimmed and seasoned with course sea salt and black pepper
1 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil (or more, as necessary)

For the ginger sauce:
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup Sriracha
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. fennel seed
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and brown all sides of the short ribs, working in batches if necessary.  Make sure the ribs aren't crowded in the pan so that you get a nice crispiness to the outside.

Transfer the browned ribs to the slow cooker (4-6 quart capacity).

Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a suitable container (I use a 1-quart Pyrex spouted measuring cup).  Pour the sauce over over the ribs.

Cover and cook until the ribs are tender (falling off the bone, etc.).  4-6 hours on high-heat, or 7-9 hours on low-heat.

We like to serve these with rice (soak up that sauce!!) and sautéd greens (kale, etc.) sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment