Monday, February 28, 2011

Holy crap, it's March already??

Ah, Monday morning... the morning where this year I have resolved to claw my way out of bed early to ride the beautiful hills of the Inner Sunset (like 9th Ave. and 10th Ave.).  Never mind that I didn't actually get started on this until February (ahem).

However, today when my alarm dutifully went off at 5am, I just didn't have it in me.  Something about riding hard the day before combined with an Oscar's party where dinner was based around ventre de porc confit (please pardon my French; basically, a giant slab of bacon slow-cooked in lard).  So, after smacking the snooze button a few times, I finally just turned the alarm off and went back to sleep.

Now, if you're like me, you'll understand that I was mildly annoyed with myself all day for having done that.  I should have just followed rule #5 and gone out and suffered like I was supposed to.  Instead I felt like a sorry-assed weakling who hadn't properly earned his lunch (or, perhaps more importantly, peanut M&Ms with his afternoon coffee).  Still, I managed to surpass my climbing goal for the month in the Strava KOM Challenge, so it wasn't all bad.

Then, it hit me.  This was the last day of February.

Oh, crap!


On March 27 is the Oakland Half Marathon.  And I'm registered with an expected finish time of 1:45:00.  And I haven't been doing a lot of running lately.  In fact, not much at all since my less-than-stellar performance at the KP San Francisco Half Marathon where I finished in 1:47:50 after getting dehydrated in the warm sun around mile 8 and subsequently popping.

So, I guess I'm going to be doing a lot more running in March.  And not much tapering.  Which is OK.  I'm pretty sure I will be just fine if I do a once-a-week mileage ramp-up like so:

  • 3/8 - 8 miles
  • 3/14 - 10 miles
  • 3/21 - 12 miles

The 13.1 on 3/27 is really just the next in the progression.  I run an easy 5-miler @ 7'45" on Thursdays anyway, so I'm not starting from nothing.  But this is certainly going to cause a little bit of suffering, and honestly I'd rather be suffering on the bike right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment